Eco-Congregation Scotland is a charity, offering a programme to enthuse and equip churches to weave environmental issues into their life and mission in an enjoyable and stimulating way. We do this through three strands:
- Grow in faith and understanding
make the link between environmental issues and Christian faith
- Put God’s house in green order
Take practical action in the church
- Change lives, change communities
Influence attitudes and take action in the local or global community
We send out materials, maintain contact with churches, provide the website and newsletter, arrange for churches to be assessed for awards, assist regional networks and equip volunteer promoters and co-ordinators to develop the programme at local level. In addition we represent Eco-Congregation to national church bodies and environmental organisations.
Churches who register as eco-congregations can benefit from:
- support from local networks of churches
- free resource Ideas for Action on all aspects of church life
- an award scheme to recognise achievement in caring for the environment
- information through networks, newsletter and website
- links to other organisations including free resources and grant opportunities
All registered churches and organisations are entitled to become charity members. As members of the charity, they are able to vote at the AGM and shape the vision of Eco-Congregation Scotland.