The independently assessed Eco-Congregation Awards are an essential part of the Eco-Congregation programme. You will see our award plaques outside many churches across Scotland. We encourage all Eco-Congregations to take part in the award process after they have registered as an Eco-Congregation and been taking part in our programme, but it is not compulsory.
The awards are designed to recognise achievement; affirm good practice that promotes or contributes to sustainability and witnesses to the importance of caring for creation.
Many churches in Scotland have already received Eco-Congregation Awards in recognition of the creditable environmental work they have done and their continuing commitment to integrating creation care into their church life including:
- Involving a number of people from across the church community in working through the Church Check-Up and in undertaking particular initiatives.
- Forming links with or involved other people in the local area.
- Seeking and gained support (time/money/advice) from other organisations / congregations / the local Eco-Congregation Scotland network.
- Forming a ‘Green Team’ to plan, review and monitor progress.
We have tried to make the award process as straightforward as possible, consisting of completing a short application form and facilitating an award assessment visit to your congregation.
- You need to be a registered Eco-Congregation and complete an Award application form. We will then arrange the award assessment visit with you.
- The assessment is carried out by two assessors, a church assessor and an environmental assessor. You will find a detailed decription of the award process in the Guidelines for applicants and assessors.
- Your congregation can work to achieve three Eco-Congregation Awards. Please read Award Criteria the for details.
- On receiving your first award you will have the opportunity to assist another congregation with their Eco-Congregation activities through our simple Mentoring programme. It is a system whereby you can share your experiences with others and gain new knowledge. If your congregation would like a mentor, please contact us.
Below is a list of documents we would like you to use and read for the award process:
- Application Form WORD| PDF
- Award Criteria PDF| WORD
- Award Assessment Guidelines for applicants and assessors PDF | WORD
- Mentoring Information PDF | WORD
Please contact us if you are experiencing problems accessing or using any of the award process documents.
If you would like to appeal the Award decision you can access our Award Decision Appeal Process