EcoCongregation Video Advent Calendar 2020
-Inviting participation from the EcoCongregation Movement and others for an Alternative Advent event! Looking for reflections based on all the aspects of our life, work and prayer: housing, food, anti-waste, anti-poverty, ethical finance, insulation, farming, forestry, just transition… whatever you’re into.
- This is an “Advent” calendar, not a ‘Christmas Countdown’. It uses carefully selected verses from the 2020 lectionary for the discrete season of Advent. The emphasis in selecting texts is on Creation’s active participation in the Story, and on scary stuff, because we live in scary times. To note, about use of language : ’Heaven’ will be rendered as ‘Sky’, ‘Righteousness’ as ‘justice’ etc. Elements of Creation are capitalised by my choice.
- This should NOT be a lot of work.
- Please only say you will take part if you will go ahead. Deadline is a week before your chosen date. Sooner is appreciated. Gaps will be filled in abruptly if material does not arrive.
- Choose a ‘Day’ to reflect on. First come, first served. OK to do more than one, if you get carried away. Reply to firstname.lastname@example.org to make sure the one you like isn’t already spoken for.
- Record yourself on video, ( head and shoulders) reading the Scripture, if possible with a plain background, (or green or blue screen if you have one). Use Zoom if it’s easier). Daylight is the best light. ( ideal illustrated)
- 6: Add a sentence or so ( not more than 2) of sharp reflective observation. Nothing bland. The whole thing should be a minute or less, though some will be just a wee bit longer.
- 7: Participation implies full permission for creative editing and visual manipulation of the video you send.
- 8: Examples of last year’s Advent Calendar can be viewed, below, though this will be in a different style, since readers will be visible this year.
ADVENT 1 SUNDAY 29th November
If you would only rip open the Sky and come down,
so that the Mountains would quake at your presence…
as when fire kindles brushwood, causing water to boil–
We … fade like leaves,
and our sins, like the wind, blow us away.
1 Corinthians 1
I give thanks to my God always for you … for in every way you have been enriched in [Christ Jesus ], in speech and knowledge of every kind-…. so that you are not lacking in any spiritual gift …..
Jesus said, ….
the Sun will be darkened,
and the Moon will begrudge its light,
and the Stars will be falling from the Sky,
and the Powers in the Skies will be shaken.
Jesus said, ….
they will see ‘the Earthling’s Child*’ coming in clouds’ with great power and glory.
Then he will send out the angels, and gather his elect from the four winds, from the ends of the Earth to the ends of the Sky.
*From ’Son of Man’ as unpacked by Bishop James Jones in an A Rocha webinar. October 2020
Jesus said, ….
“From the … Tree learn its lesson: as soon as its branch becomes tender and puts forth its leaves, you know that summer is near. …. Sky and Earth will pass away, but my words will not pass away.
Jesus said, ….
Keep awake—for you do not know when the master of the house will come,….or else he may find you asleep when he comes suddenly.
And what I say to you, I say to all: Keep awake.”
ADVENT 2 SUNDAY
6th December ( St Nicholas)
A voice cries out:
“In the wilderness prepare the way of the Lord,
make straight, in the desert, a highway for our God.
Every valley shall be lifted up,
every mountain and hill be made low;
the uneven ground shall become level,
and the rough places a plain.
Then the glory of the Lord shall be revealed,
and all people shall see it together,
People are grass,
their constancy like the flower of the field.
The grass withers, the flower fades,
when the breath of the Lord blows upon it;
surely people are grass.
The grass withers, the flower fades;
but the Word of our God will stand for ever.
Truth shall spring up from the Earth,
and Justice shall look down from the Sky.
2 Peter 3:
The day of the Lord will come like a thief, and then the Skies will pass away with a loud noise, and the elements will be dissolved with fire, and the Earth and everything that is done on Earth will be disclosed.
John the Baptist appeared in the wilderness, offering an immersion* in change-of-mind** for the forgiveness of sins.
*’Baptism’ loses the ‘dipping’ aspect. **close translation of ‘meta-noia’
John was clothed with camel’s hair, with a leather belt around his waist, and he ate locusts and wild honey.
ADVENT 3 SUNDAY
They will be called Oaks of Justice,
the planting of the Lord, to display his glory.
As Earth brings forth shoots,
and as a Garden causes what is sown in the Garden
to spring up,
so the Lord God will cause justice and praise
to spring up before all the nations.
Those who sowed with tears
will reap with songs of joy.
Those who go out weeping, carrying the seed,
will come again with joy, shouldering their sheaves.
Luke 1 [Magnificat]
The Almighty … has mercy on those who fear him
in every generation.
God has shown the strength of his arm,
God has scattered the proud in their conceit.
God has cast down the mighty from their thrones,
and has lifted up the lowly.
God has filled the hungry with good things,
and sent the rich empty away.
1 Thessalonians 5
Rejoice always, pray without ceasing, give thanks in all circumstances; for this is the will of God in Christ Jesus for you.
Do not quench the Spirit.
Do not despise the words of prophets, but test everything.
Priests and Levites from Jerusalem asked John Who are you?”…” He said, “I am the voice of one crying out in the wilderness, ‘Make straight the way of the Lord,’” as the prophet Isaiah said.
Your love is established for ever;
You have set your faithfulness firmly in the Skies.
ADVENT 4 SUNDAY
This is the sixth month for her who was said to be barren.
For nothing will be impossible with God
[Mary said] “Here am I, the servant of the Lord; let it be with me according to your word.”
Then the angel departed
Sing to the Lord a new song;
sing to the Lord, all the whole Earth.
Let the skies rejoice, and let the Earth be glad;
let the Sea thunder and all that is in it;
let the Field be joyful and all that is therein.
24th December ( Christmas Eve)
Then shall all the trees of the forest shout for joy
before our God, when God comes to judge the Earth.