Thank you for your interest in Eco-Congregation Scotland and we invite your congregation or parish to join us. There are well over 400 eco-congregations in Scotland. To join them you need to register.
The main things you need to know about registration:
- It is free (there is an optional membership fee if you wish to become a voting member).
- You do not need to have done any environmental work to register as an eco-congregation! Registration is a statement of intent – that your church is concerned about the environment and wants to do something about it in the future.
- It is simple: fill out the online form or print out a registration form and post it back to us.
Registration gives you access to:
- recognition of the church’s environmental work by being able to call yourselves an eco-congregation. Further recognition through the award scheme (if you choose to do this later).
- support through our local networks and program coordinators.
- information through free resources, and the newsletter.
- Eligibility to apply for an Award.
How to register
[These details are for enquirers from Scotland. Visit the Eco-Congregation international web site if you are from elsewhere.]
Step 1 – Get Approval from the wider Congregation or Parish
Because this is a commitment of the whole congregation or parish we need you to get approval from it’s decision making body. This varies by denomination but it could be the Vestry, Kirk Session, Parish Council or even the priest, minister or other clergy.
Step 2 – Fill in the registration form
Select an option:
Online registration is quickest and we will email you a copy of your form for your records.
If you decide to download the form you will need to print it, fill it out and send it back to us in the post. If you are unable to use the online form or download a copy please contact us and we will post a paper copy to you.
What happens next?
- Send you a certificate showing you are now a registered eco-congregation which you can put on your church notice board.
- Register you to receive our next newsletter and other useful publicity material.
- Introduce you to our program coordinator and environmental chaplain who will be able to help you develop the environmental and spiritual activities in your church and guide you towards application for one of our awards.
- Connect you with your local Eco-Congregation Network if one exists in your area. Your local network is the main place where you can get support and advice.
We recommend that you start working on the Church Check-Up straight away as it will help you prioritise which activities you would like to concentrate on, and is requirement to achieve your first Eco-Congregation Award.